[Vk1tac] Ginini 2 metre services

Neil Pickford vk1tac@happy.emu.id.au
Sat, 18 Jan 2003 00:07:26 +1000

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Ginini 2 metre services
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 20:58:32 +1100
From: "Mr Gilbert Hughes" <ghughes3@bigpond.com>
To: "Paul Bell" <paul.bell@afp.gov.au>, "Paul Elliot"
<pkbelliot@bigpond.com>,"Owen Duffy" <owen@oda.com.au>, "Neil Pickford"
<neilp@goldweb.com.au>,"Peter Westerhof"
<Peter.Westerhof@aspect.com.au>,"Mike Dower" <vk1eng@tpg.com.au>

(Could one of you please forward this to Karl Makin - I do not have his
address)

Following the installation of the new tower there is a much greater
isolation (about 70 dB compared to 30 odd dB on the old tower) between
the new Tx and Rx antennas.

In order to save floor space (and cavity resonators) we can re-work the
2 metre multi-coupling (currently 14 cavities) to make it easier to fit
the Ginini 70 cm hub of the linked repeater project, and the 6 metre
repeater diplexer (modified 70 MHz cavities) and the 2 mtr and 70 cm Rx
voting equipment.

This has causes us to think about what 2 mtr services we really want to
have on the site.

Some thoughts are:

1. Only two 2mtr services can easily be engineered eg voice and packet.

2.  Does the current usage of the 4800 baud packet justify continuing
the service - (or move it to Bulls head??)

3. An APRS wide has been suggested, however we understand that a wide
coverage store and forward service could do more harm than good if APRS
continues to gain in popularity and more 'wides' are installed.

4. Is there any advantage to packet users of making the site a 1200 baud
hub? (we understand that the answer is no for a number of reasons.)

Does the 2 mtr packet currently  get much use now?

Is the usage likely to decline even further?

Would the regular users agree to either move the service to Bulls Head,
or close it down?

Lets have an exchange of views as a first step.

Regards
Gilbert Hughes
mailto:ghughes3@bigpond.com