I am an Amateur Radio Operator (HAM) and my call sign is VK1KNP - Australian Capital Territory
I am a member of the
Wireless Institute of Australia (WIA)
- Canberra Region Amateur Radio Club and also an accredited examiner/invigilator for the WIA Examination service.
Amateur Radio is a world wide hobby which covers a wide range of interests in the communications field. Some amateurs enjoy long solitary hours in the shack making long distance (DX) contacts around the world on High Frequency (HF). I prefer to build things, experiment, find out how stuff works and pass knowledge onto others.
Aspects of the Hobby that Interest me:
- Amateur Television - Fast Scan - I am a member of the British Amateur Television Club (BATC).
- Packet Radio - 4800 baud+ digital communications - Treasurer of Canberra Amateur Packet Radio Group (CAPRG). - Have designed a 300/1200/4800 baud tri speed modem board which the group has distributed 200 so far.
- ARDF - Fox Hunting or Radio sport - Recently involved in putting this activity back on the ACT calendar.
- VK1 Repeater Group - Maintenance and Construction of the local Amateur repeaters and associated equipment.
- VK1 Technical Group - Forum for amateurs to kick around ideas for equipment and assist each other to implement their ideas.
- VK1 TAC - Technical Advisory Committee member for VK1
- Satellite Activity - Interested in Tracking Satellites and decoding their signals - Have interfaced the Antenna Controller of a Scientific Atlanta 10 Metre all band dish to Instant Track allowing tracking resolution of 0.01 degrees.
- WICEN - Wireless Institute Civil Emergency Network member - Assist with Emergencies and general communication activities when required.
- JOTA - Jamboree of the Air - Brings Amateur Radio to the youth members of the Scout and Guide Associations on the 3rd full weekend in October each year.
- Field Operation - Have equipment capable of operating in the field away from normal infrastructure.
- RF Design - Trying to make Radio Frequency components (cavities, filters, antennas, receivers, amplifiers) out of readily available materials.
- Junk - Collector of all sorts of electronic Junk - You never know when that might just become useful.
Return to Neil's Home Page
- or -
This is the 7000th external access of this page
Java Script Test area